Since I am changing jobs, moving from my current organisation and from the current sector, a very interesting KM case in point comes ahead: what happens when one leaves the organisation and enters another?
I will be living both experiences first hand soon. This is a bit like the experience – however much more amazing than mine – of Jill Bolte Taylor. In her stroke of insight (a fascinating TED talk) the brain scientist relates her experience observing the stroke that she was having.
Well, hopefully moving will not quite feel like a stroke, but the experience itself promises to be fascinating. I have some ideas about what a good exit programme and what a good induction programme may hold but I’m curious as to what my future-ex organisation and what my future organisation are keeping in store.
The aspects I’ll be certainly observing with keen interest…
From the organisation I’m leaving:
- How my learning curve is taken into account and documented for hand-over information at a corporate / project / team / task / person level?
- How information systems and my access to them will be set in the future and what may be asked for me to explain my use of these?
- Whether I will get an exit interview or not and if so, whether it will focus on the HR side of things (e.g. why am I leaving, what logistical arrangements are made) only or also on the content insights I would like to leave to my future ex-colleagues?
- How my personal network of contacts is mobilised (or not)?
From the organisation I’m joining:
- The pacing and style of my induction: how many people to meet in how much time?
- How much documentation to ingest?
- How much will be left for me to experiment?
- How do I get on with ILRI’s procedures and information systems?
- Any mentorship model or approach?
More on this blog when it is really happening.
One (more) downside of leaving in the meantime, on top of missing actions like fancy Friday and the IRC-nergy weeks, I won’t be able to carry out the survey of KM that I blogged about a while back. But perhaps this is also something to bring to ILRI? Again, more to come on this blog – it’s boiling up on this side.
Exciting times of change!!!
- Gardening in organisations: how to cultivate expertise and make it blossom
- Get personal: KM closer, together, for the bigger picture
- The ever learning organisation